NHN Corporation, Korea’s premier Internet company which operates some of the largest portals are the new owners of Like.me which sold during the Premium .ME auction held in November at Sedo’s GreatDomains. The sale price: $26,500 USD.
According to the company’s website, NHN operates Korea’s top search portal, Naver (www.naver.com) the leading online game portal, Hangame (www.hangame.com) the nation’s largest children’s portal, Jr. Naver (jr.naver.com), Korea’s the first online donation portal, Happybean (happybean.naver.com) and microblog service Me2DAY (me2day.net).
NHN Corporation and .ME
The company has invested extensively in .ME domains.
NHN which already owned blog.me, also acquired several other Premium .ME domains during the auction including game.me for ($13,100), movie.me ($7,600), health.me ($6,700), note.me ($10,000), contacts.me ($15,600) and shop.me ($8,200).
Like.me might be the company’s best buy, given that Facebook has made “Like me” a well-recognized phrase throughout the world. How the company plans to use the name has not been revealed, but given the popularity of the phrase, the company has a lot of options.
In case you haven’t seen how Facebook has grown, here’s a look at the latest statistics from Facebook.
- More than 500 million active users
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
- There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
- More than 70 translations available on the site
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
- More than 2.5 million developers and partners from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform
- People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day
- Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
- Since social plugins launched in April 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day
- More than two million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites
- There are more than 200 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products